Wednesday 13 February 2019

An Evening of Storytelling


11 February 2019

Hertfordshire Speakers Club Meeting

It was another great evening at Hertfordshire Speakers Club, with a visit from Area 20 Director Wojtek Zujla, seven visitors from local clubs and two guests from the local community.

The theme of the evening ‘Storytelling chimed well with the members and guests. Davina, a consummate story teller, facilitated a lively interactive session.


Davina, workshop facilitator

I particularly liked the option to retell the story using pictures or words. Nina shared her story and her drawings with me, and it’s good to share it with you so you can make up your own story.


Nina’s story in pictures

The room buzzed with excitement all evening as we shared our stories. Earlier two members, Catherine and Elizabeth gave prepared speeches with stories at the heart of each speech.

12 comments:

Julie kertesz said...

The photos enhance a lot the post, almost as we were there too.

Donia said...

Brief and to the point, well done Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Jordan said...

Julie, the story I told was called Julie, The Gem. It was all about meeting you and the gems of wit and wisdom that you have shared with me and others. It was well received.

John W. Kendall said...

A lighter post in words, with more pictures. I am left wondering how this relates to pathways.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Elizabeth, it was a learning experience for me too. I'm glad the story-boarding worked, especially that some people chose to draw. It is a standard method, but I can't do it! I now know I definitely can't run a workshop alone, without support from other people. Having a timer (Bob Ferguson) and a body/voice coach (Dorna Bowjaran) really helped. And next time I'll make my instructions clearer, so hopefully allowing more time for telling.

Clifford Hurst said...

Sounds like a great evening. A very strong way of conveying a message and engaging with the audience.

Anonymous said...

Very light but interesting blog Elizabeth. This appeared to be a fun evening. I would really like to join to interact and boost my confidence amongst other things. Maybe reading these blogs would be a start in the right direction. wishing you the best in your endeavours

Elizabeth Jordan said...


John - Thanks for feedback.

Both speeches on the night were Pathways speeches and my story was all about meeting Julie 'The Gem' Kertesz and her passion for Pathways. I did not go into detail in the blog as I wanted to focus on Davina's Storytelling workshop.


Pathway stories to come.

Kristina McCann said...

Looks like another great evening at the club - your blog is a handy way to keep up to speed with meetings :-) Thank you for that!

Lorain McCann said...

Sounds like a lively and stimulating evening; interesting people with interesting stories to tell. Looking forward to the next update. Many thanks.

Unknown said...

Sorry I missed it; seemed like it was truly a great evening. Hope I get to see her some time!

Unknown said...

A meeting packed with fellowship, variety,and communication. Mobile friendly blog. A tip engagement = emotion plus enthusiam. So reporting on the emotional core substance of the stories would elevate engagement.