Saturday 23 March 2019

A Global Affair






One  of the joys of attending Online Toastmasters clubs is the opportunity to meet people from across the globe.
This morning I woke up at 05:00 to attend the Video contest for Global Trainers Online. It was their first contest and my first attendance at an online contest. I was not disappointed.


In fact, I was super impressed by the professionalism of the contest officials. The Contest Toastmaster - Carole McCulloch - chaired the event with poise and aplomb. The Chief Judge was efficient and used technology effectively and ensured the necessary contest governance issues were followed.  The Timer was efficient and again used technology well to ensure the contestants could all see the lights. I find the use of a full-screen coloured background more effective than holding up cards or using lights.


The level of the contestant speeches were sky high and it was worth attending just to hear the four amazing speeches given by 1) Julie Kertesz "Around The Corner" 2) Julian Melio "Say Yes and Then.... 3) Graham Cairns "Travel Blogging 19th Century Style" and 4) Brian Dodd "Make Your Dream Your Life".  The top three winners were: Graham, Julian and Brian. Worthy Winners.


I have to confess that I disagree with the recent change in the rules by TMI whereby three winners are announced even if there are only four contestants. Previously only two were announced. Ihis is one rule I believe deserved to be reconsidered.


I am off to Parkrun in a minute. I wrote about the parallels between Toastmasters and Parkrun a few blogs ago. I think there is another lesson that Toastmasters can learn from Parkrun. At every run there is a Tail-Walker who always comes in last. This means that no one has to worry about being the last to cross the line. I think this spirit of consideration is one Toastmasters should adopt.




What are your views?







1 comment:

John W. Kendall said...

In the system if only two contestants you could have one as first - the other must be second if no disqualifications. We are grown ups. Only recently realised that the semifinal requirement of videos even impacts club speeches in that a potentially winning speech needs to meet these requirements too.