Tuesday 19 March 2019

A Proud Moment








In an earlier blog, I mentioned the lessons from karate that informed my understanding of the need for repetition of the basics in Pathways to build a strong foundation on which to build more complex skills.As luck would have it, two days ago I found some of my old karate photos. I am posting a couple of my favourites. Unfortunately they were taken before digital cameras and the quality is not great.












Elizabeth receiving Black Belt from Sensei Clayton Murrain, 8th Dan



In thinking back to the core values in karate, there is a great overlap with those of Toastmasters. They certainly share the values of Integrity, Excellence and Respect. The fourth value in karate is Discipline rather than Service. One visible mark of respect is the bow. On the day I received my Black Belt, I walked up, bowed, shook hands with Sensei Murrain and received my 1st Dan certificate and my Black Belt, which I wore with great pride. I still recall the loud applause and the hugs and smiles from the other Black Belts.

Elizabeth with Sensei Clayton Murrain, 8th Dan


Training with Sensei Murrain was a unique experience. As a former karate world champion and respected teacher, he brought expertise and rigour to every session, and always demanded the highest standards from each pupil. He had the eyes of an eagle and you could not 'wing it' in his class. I have an enduring respect for him and I feel privilege to have trained under him and his team of instructors. It's interesting that the more I navigate Pathways the more I find myself recalling the lessons from my days as a karateka, chief of these is the need to build a strong foundation through regular practice, repetition and an unwavering commitment to high standards.








No comments: