Sunday 3 March 2019

Parkrun - A Time To Think


Parkrun – A Time To Think



My Saturday mornings are now dedicated to attending my local parkrun at beautiful Fairlands Valley Park, Stevenage. Hundreds of people turn up to run, walk or jog the 5K course which starts at 09:00. What has parkrun got to do with Toastmasters you may ask? As it turn out, quite a lot: 1) It’s a community activity open to all 2) Success depends on volunteers 3) It’s self-paced; you go as fast or slow as you wish.

In addition to helping me to keep fit, I have found that running is ideal opportunity to  practice my Toastmaster speeches. This morning (2/3/19), on a damp, wet day I got into my stride and then started to practice my contest speech with the improvement suggestions I received from the evaluation contestants and a couple of club members who volunteered feedback.


For me, the rhythm of running sharpens my focus and clarifies my thinking. As I thought about my speech, I pictured using the stage more purposefully; breathing more life into the dialogue of my characters and using more vocal variety. Each time I played the speech in my head I felt I could see and hear the characters more clearly.  Most importantly, I was racing to the finish line before I realized it.

World Champion speakers advise that we practice our speeches over and over again. They advise also that we invite feedback from a coach or trusted Toastmasters or friends to help us improve our speeches.

There will only be one first place winner of the Club, Area, Division or District International and Evaluation contests. The best advice I have heard for how to handle disappointment for those who do not win was given by Aaron Beverly, the 2016 second place winner of the World Champion of public speaking, best known as the '57-word-title-man'. Watch Aaron's message in this video.

 

10 comments:

John W. Kendall said...

I admire your determination. Wish you well in competitions.

Ian M. said...

Elizabeth what an innovative way to combine 2 important activities. Mind, body and soul!

Claire B said...

I too find being out in nature (it’s walking for me) a great opportunity for inspiration and speech practice.

Bob Ferguson said...

Great advice Elizabeth. The habit of practice does bring success and the advice from Aaron is a really good perspective for all competitors.

Unknown said...

Parkruns are brilliant. They've managed to get my eldest daughter into running. Although not sure how she will react when I try out my speeches on her as we run!

Unknown said...

Nature does give new inspiration! I have heard Aaron before but hearing him again brings new perspective on the decisions we make about disappointment across all areas of life. Winning does not define who we are!

Sudha Mani said...

Congrats on your wins... All the best to you next round. Wow, I like your practice ritua...running at a high beta or theta brainwaves... imagination, focus and clarity all culminates. ������

Voytek Zujla said...

What an interesting reference between Toastmasters and Park Run. I've tried both and fully agree with you Elizabeth. Original technique of practising speeches, I must try it during one of my runs.

Anonymous said...

Well done Elizabeth.

I really liked your this idea. It's good for heath & mind. It gives us natural feeling. I also walk & run whenever I get free time. I try to avoid driving car or taking local bus for short distance like within two miles. If any destination within two miles I all lime prefer walking. It makes me fresh, confidence, more outside from the comfort zone. It also make opportunity to meet new people, new things on the path. It also help to think creative idea, topic etc.

I have found that walking, jogging, running are part of the Toastmaster activities & getting more confidence and getting out more from comfort zone.

Regards
Mujib,
VP Education,
Luton Communicators

Unknown said...

I shall try this in the future - practice my speeches during the run. Such a good idea!