Sunday 17 March 2019

Expectations Exceeded


When I joined TM in 2010, I was focused solely on improving my public speaking skills. I quickly saw that Toastmasters offered so much more. It offered opportunities to strengthen skills in leadership, networking, mentoring and much more.

My networks within Toastmasters have grown substantially over the years through my visits to other clubs, attending Area, Division and District conferences and contests, participating in online clubs (Cornerstone Communicators and Emperor Mandarin Online) and being active on dedicated Social Networks e.g. Pathways Discussion Forum. With the expansion of my networks have come many interesting and varied opportunities.



CONTEST TEST SPEAKER




Contest Night at Luton Speakers


On 28th February, I was invited to be the Test Speaker at Luton Communicators Evaluation Contest.  In this role I provided the material for the contestants to showcase their evaluation skills, and was rewarded with five fine evaluations which have been invaluable in helping me to improve my speech.  


Members of Luton Communicators


AREA 32 DIRECTOR ELECTION CHAIR


Martin Mansell, the current Area32 Director
congratulating the AD-elect
On Saturday 9th March, I was honoured to be the Chair for the Election of the 2019-2020 Area 32 Director. Violet Cuffy is the AD-elect for Area 32. This role involved working closely with the current Area 32 Director, Martin Mansell, and the Area 32 Contest Committee. It is a role that requires you to understand governance rules related to elections so that the process is seen to be fair and transparent.



NETWORKING WITH FELLOW TOASTMASTERS  FROM AROUND THE WORLD


On Tuesday 12th March, I joined the wonderful members of District 81 Caribbean region for the final of the three sensational training session they have hosted with World Champion Speakers. This week Ramona Smith, the 2018 World Champion of Public Speaking, was guest speaker. It was definitely worth staying up after midnight to hear the story of her journey to becoming WCOPS including two failed attempts and tips that got her there eventually, including 1) Tell personal stories 2) Heartfelt and with Humour 3) Be Yourself/Be Authentic.

 

   
I have shared these three examples of how Toastmasters have exceeding my expectations.  


I hope this will encourage you also to harness the many opportunities that Toastmasters offer beyond just public speaking.

5 comments:

Clifford Hurst said...

Totally agree Elizabeth. I find it so illuminating to visit other clubs and often bring back tips and ideas from them to use in the clubs I belong to.

John W. Kendall said...

Well done on doing something interesting everyweek to blog & congratulations on your successes

RoseMarie said...



What an excellent blog! I am suggesting several 'newbie' Toastmasters' members to check it out. Please come on my show 'Rose Marie-on-Sundays' to discuss your blog. I know people who would like to start one. They could definitely learn a tip or two from yours. Keep up the good work!!!

Olivia said...

Love the new layout and use of pictures - I definitely wanted to "Read More"!

Unknown said...

Elizabeth, may I add mentor and leadership coach to many. Even if it is down humbly and silently... it not unnoticed! And be assured it is greatly appreciated!

Violet Cuffy,
Asst Area Director 20 & 30